Saturday, April 20, 2013

Is there a 12 step program for people who buy too many fruit trees?



If there is, then you should sign us up.  Immediately.  Today Mike put his new tractor, with its fancy post hole digger, to good use, and we planted 15 fruit trees, and 9 blackberry bushes.  Tomorrow we do raspberries.  It may be excessive, but it was also very exciting (if we're being honest, I think that Mike and Landon were mostly excited about all of the tractoring, but still, excitement was there).  Mike has done so much work getting the land for the expanded orchard yesterday, and it's wonderful to see the plan starting to take shape.

Mike putting in the first tree of the day

Adding pea stone to act as mulch

Soaking the bare roots in agri-gel

Mom multi-tasking!  While he looks very still in this picture, Landon spent most of the time trying to jump out and play with the water.

Bare-root trees in the box
Meanwhile, inside the seedlings are looking good.  The eggplant finally germinated and seems happy, and the fennel, basil, tomatoes, and flowers are all growing as well.  None of my chinese lantern flowers have sprouted yet, but I'm not giving up hope on them yet.  As Mike pointed out today I don't have a spot in the garden picked out for them yet, so if they don't grow, it's not a huge loss.

Tomorrow will be our first outdoor planting day in the garden!  It's been cold here for the past few weeks, and we've been dealing with some sad personal events, so I postponed my original planting plans.  Tomorrow, though, my parents are going to come to help wrangle Landon, and I'm planning on planting my peas, radishes, scallions, shallots, kale, turnips, carrots, beets, and endive.  We're also going to put in the raspberry bushes.  Well, some of the raspberry bushes.  Since I had that whole golden raspberry impulse buy situation we'll have another round once those arrive.  I'd say "and then we'll stop," but even I don't believe that.  Maybe after next year (with the blueberries, elderberries, and kiwi), then we'll stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment