Monday, April 22, 2013

Seeds in the ground

We had an amazingly productive weekend, in large part due to a very helpful visit from my parents, and Mike's passion for all things tractor-related.  On Sunday, Mike put in the black and red raspberries, and my mom helped me weed the garden and plant our first set of cool weather crops.  Taperman assisted by entertaining Landon - a crucial job.

In the garden, we now have shelling peas, snap peas, spinach, radishes, arugula, chioggia and golden beets, harukei turnips, kale, shallots, and scallions all tucked into their beds.  This is by far the earliest I've managed to do any direct seeding, and I hope that means that I'll start getting some good harvests by early summer.

In total for the orchard, we planted 15 fruit trees, 9 hills of blackberries, and 20 red raspberry canes and three four-cane hills of black raspberries.  Next weekend I'll plant carrots, parsnips, and potatoes.

Hello garlic!

Prepping for red raspberries

Yes, Gramps - it's much better to see the chickens up close!

I'll take that, thank you very much

Farming buddies

No comments:

Post a Comment