Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Adventures in chicken training

We're now up to a total of 15 eggs from the girls, averaging about 2-3 per day.  No one has laid anything in the nest boxes yet, so last night we put some fake lemons and limes in the nest boxes to try to encourage the girls to check them out.

So far, we haven't had any takers.  I don't have any other ideas to try to convince them to use the boxes, as I can't see how picking them up and putting them in there would result in anything other than chicken confusion.

Yesterday I had an almost touching moment (if that can really happen with chickens), with one of the Rhode Island Reds.  I went into the coop, and she was the only girl inside.  She was squatting in the shavings under the nest boxes, and gave me a look filled with as much confusion as a chicken can muster.  I told her that it looked like she was probably going to lay an egg, and that she shouldn't panic.  She seemed to need some privacy, so I shut the door, and sure enough I found an egg there later that day.  I think that must be her preferred spot, because there was another egg there this morning.  At least she's in the vicinity of the nest boxes.


Egg under the nest boxes

Egg behind the water container
The eggs are pretty small, but much better shaped than I had expected them to be.  We still haven't had any blue eggs from the aracaunas, but I'm hoping to see some soon.

This week's eggs!

No comments:

Post a Comment