Wednesday, April 27, 2011

New leaves, and fruit trees






The seedlings are all doing really well this week. The flowers and tomatoes are almost all starting to get their first full set of true leaves, but I think I'll be able to hold off on moving them into larger pots until Sunday. I was a bit haphazard in my tomato seed distribution, so before I transplant, I'll have to thin out the seedlings in quite a few of the cells.





Peppers on April 27



Because the vegetable garden and chickens didn't feel like quite enough, last weekend we acquired several fruit trees. Last summer we planted two apple trees (well, my parents' neighbor planted them, and we hovered), and since we've gone nearly a year without killing them, we felt it was time to expand. Mike did nearly take one out last weekend while felling a neighboring pine tree, but luckily our little apple tree only lost a branch.

Skillins was having a 20% off sale on trees, so last weekend we loaded up on 2 peach trees, 2 pears, and 2 sweet cherry trees. The sales woman assured us that they'll all grow and produce fruit in Maine, although she did say "they can take a little work." I suspect that for the peaches especially that might be an understatement, but the idea of having a mini fruit orchard was too appealing. Next weekend we'll pick up the trees after we go to a vegetable gardening class, so this weekend's outdoor project will be putting them all in. Optimistically, we're trying to think of all the digging as an excellent cross-training opportunity.





Zinnia, April 27

No comments:

Post a Comment