Friday, May 27, 2011

The plan

You know what I love? A plan. A detailed, color-coded, well-researched plan. I've struggled with the best way to draw up my garden plan, given the limitations of my artistic abilities. Mother Earth News has helped me out, though. Since I'm now a subscriber to the magazine, and, therefore, an official hippy farmer, I found out about their online garden planning tool. I'm totally in love with it. I was able to plot out exactly where I wanted all of my plants, and the tool includes information about when each vegetable should be planted and harvested. It also color codes plants by type, to help with crop rotations for future years of the farm.

Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to directly get the graphic up here, but you can see the plan at: http://gardenplanner.motherearthnews.com/garden-plan.aspx?p=169794.

This weekend, I'm planning on getting almost all of the rest of the seeds in the ground. I'm still undecided about when to put out the tomatoes/peppers/flowers. I was planning on waiting until early June, but it's very warm now, and the tomatoes are getting enormous. I haven't been able to harden them off, though, and we're taking a detour on Saturday morning to visit a puppy (hopefully more on that later!), so I'm just not sure yet if they're going to go outside this weekend, or wait for another week or so. I also get to stop in and see the chicks on Saturday, which will be very exciting. Taperman has a favorite now; she's a barred rock with plenty of personality. Apparently she's the queen bee of the group, and he talks about her so much I have a feeling that I may be getting 19 chickens instead of 20...

No comments:

Post a Comment