Tuesday, June 28, 2011

My fashionably late asparagus

The asparagus is finally up! It feels like it took an abnormally long time for this to happen, but as I was mentally drafting this post I realized that 1) I don't exactly remember when I planted the asparagus, although I feel like it was late May, and 2) I haven't come across anything yet in my reading that says how long it takes asparagus plants to come up. None of my books mentioned anything about a month+ long wait, though, so I'm sticking with my gut feeling that these are late blooming asparagus plants. But it doesn't matter, because they're actually here! I was weeding the other beds in the garden on Sunday, and noticed some funny looking plants in the asparagus bed. In my many weeks of farming, I've developed a handy two-pronged test for identifying weeds. First, if bugs are eating it, there's a chance it's something I planted. Bugs much prefer my veggies to weeds. Second, if it shows up in more than one bed, and it's not something I planted in more than one bed, it's a weed. The funny new plants in the asparagus bed failed question one, as they were untouched by bugs, but they certainly didn't look like anything else in my other beds. When I looked at them more closely, I noticed that the very slender stalks resemble asparagus quite a bit. I consulted my gardening bible, and it had a picture of a well-developed asparagus bed, with lots of frondy plants waving in the breeze. I don't have that, but my little guys are at least trying. As a congratulations for surviving present to them, I finally weeded their bed. I'd been hestitant to weed it before, partially because I didn't want to inadvertantly pull up any asparagus plants, and partially because I was pretty irritated that I couldn't see any asparagus. Now, though, they have a mostly weeded bed, and I told them several times how proud I am that they've joined the garden, just in case they're like my dogs and enjoy verbal praise.

1 comment:

  1. If they are really like the dogs they should be chewing on eachother.

    ReplyDelete