Thursday, June 9, 2011

They're really growing!

So my May seeds are (mostly) really taking off! I've noticed a big difference just from last weekend in how they look. Even some of the crops that I was having doubts about due to my extremely haphazard planting techniques in certain beds (namely, the herb bed) are coming up. Below are the few most notable good growers of the week. I had hoped to mulch the walkways and do more weeding, but while Lily is adorable, she is still a terrible gardener. She greatly enjoys digging in inappropriate places, eating plants, and walking through the beds. So until I have Mike back this weekend, the farm is going to suffer from a little neglect.
Above: Zucchini on June 9
Below: Snow peas on June 9, grabbing on to the trellis



Below: Potato plant on June 9 - this is especially cool because I had hilled this plant earlier in the day, and by evening it had grown enough to show through the dirt.


Below: The lettuce bed, also, my first failed attempt at mulching. The plan is to mulch with newspaper covered in straw. I keep getting pulled away from it though, so now I have random bits of newspaper strewn throughout the garden. Lily thinks it is a delicious and fun addition.



Below: Green beans, June 9


Below: Carrots (finally!) June 9




In the interests of full garden disclosure, I think I may have killed off the marigolds and zinnias that I sunburned after so carefully raising them from seed. They just look sadder and sadder. I'd post pictures, but it's too embarrassing.

No comments:

Post a Comment