Wednesday, June 29, 2011

A New Home

There are no pictures with this submission, but I just wanted to comment on how great the girls look in their new digs. And I say digs literally. When I passed thru today after attending a three-day literacy retreat in Boothbay Harbor, I was so happy to find the flock not only bigger, but very happy. Yes you can tell when chickens are happy. They have this gentle coo and today the ladies were scratching and rolling in the freshly tilled (they did the tilling) dirt outside the coop. They seemed to take great pleasure in rolling up against a buddy as they covered themselves in dirt. The chicken guides say they like to do this to get rid of mites and other skin pests. After a good roll, they vigorously shake the dirt off and go inside for a drink. Suzy seems to be a very attentive mother even whilst tending to Lilly and Bullet. I hope that when Mike arrives and takes some of the canine burden off her shoulders, she will be able to spend some more quality time inside the coop. I suggest she bring in a comfy chair and read to them in the evening. It's like Chicken Soup for the soul....try it sometime....really! Hopefully this upcoming fourth of July weekend we can install electricity and have a light to read by in there. I invite you blog readers to enter the "First Egg" lottery. For five dollars you get to pick the day we see the first egg. I'm taking October 10, so pick another day. We'll get some pictures soon...Taperman.

No comments:

Post a Comment